Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Why I Love My Job, Part I

Dear Teachers,
We are 2/3 of the way through our first-ever ETSI (Ed Tech Summer Institute), and I have to say, it's gone even better than I had hoped! Today was one of the best days I've had in my job; there are many reasons, but I'm just going to focus on a couple in this post.

I taught three classes this morning, each of them something I was very interested in teaching, and the participants were able to select the classes that were of interest to them. The first class was about Virtual Field Trips and MysterySkype, and I have to say it was AWESOME (and I don't use that word lightly).

Twitter is amazing, guys. A couple of weeks ago, I tweeted this:


I was hoping to find a lone teacher in a room somewhere. A teacher I've never met, Cheryl McCrorey (@mcrorey_2nd), tweeted me and said she'd love to Skype with us. And it just so happened that she was teaching a class of teachers at exactly the same time I had MY class of teachers (seriously, what are the odds of that?!) A veteran MysterySkyper, Cheryl talked me through the whole process ahead of time and gave me some great pointers. So today I was able to connect teachers in my classroom in Texas  with teachers in HER classroom in North Carolina. I don't care who you are, that's cool. Not to mention an incredible anecdote for those teachers who are still wary of Twitter or wonder what it has to offer an educator. To say that the teachers on my end were excited about it is, IMHO, a gross understatement. It was so much fun!

I also taught a class on Augmented Reality (IMPOSSIBLE not to be amazed by this technology!) and one on Makerspaces, complete with a cardboard challenge: 


All of these classes today were a BLAST to facilitate. I was interested in the subject matter, and all of the attendees were dream students because they were interested in the subjects, too! 

I can't speak for everyone, but for me? Today I loved my job! More about that in the next blog post.

Fondly,
Nancy




No comments:

Post a Comment