Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Worst Technology?

Dear Teachers,

I was at a conference a few days ago and heard a fact that I've been turning over and over in my head. I'd heard it a while back, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about it this time around.
"My iPhone is the worst technology that today's kindergartners will ever use."
http://www.att.com/wireless/iphone/assets/iphone-4s-devices.jpg

Think about that one for a minute. My little device that I can't do without, that I check weather, Facebook, and email on; that I tweet from and play games on; that I access YouTube, news,  and the number of steps I walk each day; that I use to get me from point A to points B, C, D, and E... and that I didn't even have myself until before these kindergartners were born - that is these kids' baseline. By the time today's five-year-olds are in high school, they will likely view my coveted device the same way we now look at  8-track tapes.

My imagination is not nearly good enough to predict the changes that will take place over the next  decade or so. What about you? Do you have any guesses as to what the future holds for technology? And how do you think your ideas will impact education? Leave your ideas in the comments section below.

Fondly,
Nancy

1 comment: