Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Reflecting on the Blogging Class

Dear Teachers,

Well, I taught the blogging class today (I had previously written about that here). I think it mostly went well. In the interest of the reflection that most participants noted was a worthy reason to blog, here are my thoughts about the class.

I taught two classes back to back, and I learned from the first class a few things that I should have done instead. Virtually EVERY SINGLE TIME I teach something for the first time, the class does not go anything like what I had imagined. And one of my biggest shortcomings when planning a class of any kind is assuming too much prior knowledge. With some helpful feedback from one of the participants in the first class, I was able to quickly shift things a little bit for the second class.

In the first class, I did not give enough direction, having imagined that the participants would be able to walk themselves through the [somewhat confusing] Blogger/Google Plus maze on their own. I gave a lot more direct instruction in the second class, and that seemed to go a lot better.

A few of our administrators left the classes still puzzled about using Blogger. But on the positive side, several principals got their blogs up and have already published their first posts! In sports terms I would call it definitely not a home run, but maybe at least a double.

On a side note, the third class I taught today was Power Searching in Google. In case you're interested, that list of cool Google operators is here.

Off to prepare for our next Professional Learning sessions - so much to plan for in the next two weeks! I'll be back in touch soon.

Fondly,

Nancy




1 comment:

  1. Someone once told me that you do not really teach a class well until the 3rd time. The first time you are concerned with assembling content, what information is needed. You are prepared to lecture. The second time you are concerned with the needs of the class, why did they ask the questions they did and how can you go back and revise. You are prepared for discussion. The third time you teach it, you have content, needs, and a presentation designed for learning. You are prepared to teach. From that point forward, of course, teaching is always fluid, but you have the basics down.

    ReplyDelete