Tuesday, May 10, 2016

My Innovative Self

Dear Teachers,

A few weeks ago I wrote about my fervent hope that every teacher, in every classroom, every day, would work to educate their students not only on their curricular goals, but also in the concepts of digital literacy and digital citizenship. And at the end of that post, I said I was going to submit my idea as a proposal to the Google for Education Certified Innovator program. And I did make a submission!

Along the way, my ideas went through many iterations. Since "magic" is probably not something that Google can actually offer me (even though it does seem that many of their products are nothing short of sorcery), I scaled back a bit to come up with "E-skills for Everybody" as my project title. The basic idea is that kids need digital skills, and they need to learn those skills right alongside the things they're learning in the curriculum. And even though kids need those skills, many teachers are just too stinkin' busy to stop and give the kids a lesson on Excel or the difference between "Save" and Save As.." Or maybe the teacher assumes that the kids "already know that" (since you know, they're digital natives and all. *rolls eyes*).

So my idea is to make it super easy to assign short videos focusing on digital skills at the same time teachers are making their curricular assignments in Google Classroom. I submitted everything yesterday and already I'm making improvements in my head, the main one being is that the STUDENTS should be the ones making these short videos! Wouldn't that be cool to be able to pull from a database of student-created work to assign in your own class? The videos could be watermarked with "Created by John, fifth grade, Wyoming" or something. And maybe students could give each other feedback on the videos there, too, giving them experience in actually DOING digital citizenship. But alas, I'm getting ahead of myself.

If you'd like to take a look at the slide deck I submitted, you can click here. And the video I created (using iMovie) is here:


In addition to being completely obsessed with this Innovator project, I'm finishing up my second class in the new Master's program I started - it's an M.Ed in Digital Learning and Leading. These classes are only five weeks long, so they go by screaming fast! The second class had the purpose of really thinking carefully about what artifacts should go in an online portfolio. My e-portfolio, too, continues to evolve, and it's been a really gratifying experience to spend time the last few weeks pulling in examples of my work over the past couple of years. So (always with the shameless self-promotion, I am) if you want to take a look at how my website is shaping up, you can find it at http://nancywtech.com. I'd be pleased for you to offer any suggestions for improvement.

Thanks, everyone, for taking a look at my Innovator materials! I'll let you know next Friday, May 20, if I was accepted. In the meantime, I really loved this quote that someone on the #GoogleEI hashtag on Twitter posted: 

I think I'm going to start using that quote for just about everything I do. 

Hope everyone is surviving all the testing! Let me hear from you.

Fondly,

Nancy



1 comment:

  1. I'm crossing my fingers for you, Nancy! What an INNOVATIVE idea to have just-in-time videos for learning e-skills. And I love that quote, too. Great find!

    ReplyDelete