Friday, July 8, 2016

Sad

Dear Teachers,

It's a sad old world out there.

I'm sad this morning because I live in a city where police officers were shot and killed during what was supposed to be a peaceful protest.

I'm sad this morning because a man was shot for no reason other than a taillight violation, and that for the millionth time, there is something that needs protesting. Because a guy being shot during a routine traffic stop DOES deserve a protest, a big one.

I'm sad because of the hateful, vitriolic nature of the world right now. Everyone, everywhere seems to have a bone to pick, a gripe to harp on, an axe to grind... pick your metaphor. I guess some might say I'm grinding an axe here by telling you how sad I am.

I'm sad because I don't want to listen to the news anymore. I used to like to think of myself as an informed person, but frankly, I just don't want to be informed anymore about another shooting. I don't want to hear another inflammatory comment or witty-but-nasty rejoinder that a political candidate got off. I don't want to hear any more about war or sex trafficking or torture or poverty or homelessness or bullying-induced suicide or all the countless other ways that people's lives can be impossibly hard. I need to know about these things, I realize, because the only way that they change is through education and awareness. But I feel weighed down by the world's sadness. Helpless. Nearly hopeless.

But at the core of my being, there is a kernel of hope, and that tiny little glimmer of hope seems somehow to stubbornly remain: that love ultimately will win. Love bats last. Love gets the last word. "In this world, you will have trouble, but don't despair: I (Love) have overcome the world."

My deepest held belief, even though I sometimes forget it myself, is that the world is evolving toward redemption. It's hard for me, as a white woman of upper middle class upbringing in comfortable surroundings, to hang on this core belief. How much harder would it be this morning for the family members of Mr. Castile or the Dallas police officers who were shot, or someone in Syria.

Let's all do our part today to bring some redemption to our corners of this sad old world, and to make things a little less sad. Love a little more; hate a lot less. The capital-W World needs us to not lose hope.

Fondly,

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment