Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Harrumph

Dear Teachers,
Earlier today, I had quietly been composing in my mind a fun little letter about getting accepted to the Google Innovator program. I had only told a couple of people that I applied again, and I was SO EXCITED about springing it on everyone how I'd kept it all a secret. Today was the day that we found out who got in. My "other" letter was going to be full of upbeat enthusiasm and, likely, lots of exclamation marks! Toronto! Oh boy! I've never been to Canada before!

Sadly, I don't get to write that exultant letter, as my idea for digital literacy was not accepted to the Google Innovator program (for the second time). I'm sad. I tried really, really hard not to get my hopes up... but, well, they were pretty UP. I knew that my first submission, back in May, was not as strong as it could have been, but I really felt like this latest one had a good shot at acceptance. And it would have been really cool to go to Toronto in October... Well, not to be this time either.

So, right now, a bunch of people over on Twitter are celebrating (which I totally would have done, had things gone differently), while a bunch more of us are licking our wounds. I know that only a few people are accepted each round. One woman got accepted this time and it was her SIXTH time to apply - there's some perseverance. Maybe this whole exercise is just designed to teach me to get a thicker skin. Which I'm sure I could use.

At this particular point in time, I'm not sure what I would change about my submission. I thought I made a pretty good case for my dream of a website of student-created content for improving digital literacy. You who know me, know that digital literacy & citizenship are my THING; I'm not sure how I will change things for the future. You get 10 slides in a presentation, one minute for a video, and 500 characters each to answer a few questions. I'll really have to think about a fresh approach for the next time.

For now I'm just going to go pout for a little while. I have to remind myself that things are really coming along on this project in my district; lots of people seem to love my idea, even if Google doesn't right now.

Dejectedly,

Nancy



1 comment:

  1. Bummer to hear that the application wasn't accepted, but do know that your plan is already making a difference with learners in our schools!! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete